Some point about your community
Much More.. or Create an Account

I am super Awesome Announcement, with links and can be used to announce important things. Check here
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run Container as VPN User and Reverse Proxy
Hello,

maybe some can help me out here.

I have set up a openvpn connetion to a user, all services this run under this user will use the vpn connection for this i used this Guide ,this works fine.

When i run for example pylaod on my local machine (not in docker) i use nginx to access the webinterface  

Code:
server_name 192.168.178.3;

location / {
   proxy_pass http://192.168.178.3:8888;
   proxy_set_header Host $host;
   proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
   proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
 }
}

and this works.

But when i use a Docker image (use the linuxserver.io version) and change the p and u id to the vpn user i cant access the pyload Gui.

I have no idea what i should do, maybe some can help me.

p.s. sorry for my bad english
(07-10-2017, 09:12 AM)mynameispeter Wrote: Hello,

maybe some can help me out here.

I have set up a openvpn connetion to a user, all services this run under this user will use the vpn connection for this i used this Guide ,this works fine.

When i run for example pylaod on my local machine (not in docker) i use nginx to access the webinterface  

Code:
server_name 192.168.178.3;

location / {
   proxy_pass http://192.168.178.3:8888;
   proxy_set_header Host $host;
   proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
   proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
 }
}

and this works.

But when i use a Docker image (use the linuxserver.io version) and change the p and u id to the vpn user i cant access the pyload Gui.

I have no idea what i should do, maybe some can help me.

p.s. sorry for my bad english
Simply changing the p and u id's of the docker container won't force that image to go through a VPN. You need to tell the docker container to use the network of another container that has VPN enabled (for example https://github.com/dperson/openvpn-client ).
Main: i5-3570k @ 4.0GHZ | 8GB Ram | 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD | EVGA 780 SC 6GB
Server: HP N54L | 8GB Ram | UnRAID v6.2.4 | 10TB Data [2x3TB+2x2TB] + 3TB Parity
RPi2 Model B 1GB: LibreELEC x2 / Wetek Hub: LibreELEC / DigiBit R1 Sat>IP Receiver

I know, but in my configuration the vpn user can only use the openvpn network connections, so when pyload container runs as vpn user I can't access the web interface because the reverse proxy settings doesn't work. When I change the pyload container user I can access the web interface but then is the vpn connection not use.