Some point about your community
Much More.. or Create an Account

I am super Awesome Announcement, with links and can be used to announce important things. Check here
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proxmox w/ Virtualized Plex?
Hey all,

I have a Plex server I want to virtualize so I can also run a few other things on the machine.  I have plenty of CPU/RAM/etc.  I am planning to install Proxmox and then install Debian inside of a VM and THEN run the services inside of docker inside of the Debian VM.  I am planning to pass an LSI controller that has the 4 disks I am going to use for Plex to the Debian VM.  My question is whether or not this is a good way to run it?  I am planning to have a bunch of Dockers that are initialized by a docker compose file.  

Does this seem reasonable?  Am I better of running plex etc directly in Debian or using Dockers?  Should I move the Docker out to the bare metal with Proxmox?...

Any guidance?

Thanks.
(26-03-2017, 08:46 PM)EFaden Wrote: Hey all,

I have a Plex server I want to virtualize so I can also run a few other things on the machine.  I have plenty of CPU/RAM/etc.  I am planning to install Proxmox and then install Debian inside of a VM and THEN run the services inside of docker inside of the Debian VM.  I am planning to pass an LSI controller that has the 4 disks I am going to use for Plex to the Debian VM.  My question is whether or not this is a good way to run it?  I am planning to have a bunch of Dockers that are initialized by a docker compose file.  

Does this seem reasonable?  Am I better of running plex etc directly in Debian or using Dockers?  Should I move the Docker out to the bare metal with Proxmox?...

Any guidance?

Thanks.

For reference this is an extension of https://www.linuxserver.io/2016/02/02/th...rver-2016/ .....
(26-03-2017, 11:44 PM)EFaden Wrote:

Any guidance?

Thanks.

For reference this is an extension of https://www.linuxserver.io/2016/02/02/th...rver-2016/ .....

Hey,

I would say it comes down to what you plan to do with your server and proxmox? do you plan to run multiple VM's for different jobs? if you plan to run multiple VM's, I'd say thats probably the best way to go. Though I don't have any experience with proxmox, you might find some odd issues with docker but only one way to find out Smile
Main: i5-3570k @ 4.0GHZ | 8GB Ram | 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD | EVGA 780 SC 6GB
Server: HP N54L | 8GB Ram | UnRAID v6.2.4 | 10TB Data [2x3TB+2x2TB] + 3TB Parity
RPi2 Model B 1GB: LibreELEC x2 / Wetek Hub: LibreELEC / DigiBit R1 Sat>IP Receiver

(27-03-2017, 08:18 AM)j0nnymoe Wrote:

Any guidance?

Thanks.

Hey,

I would say it comes down to what you plan to do with your server and proxmox? do you plan to run multiple VM's for different jobs? if you plan to run multiple VM's, I'd say thats probably the best way to go. Though I don't have any experience with proxmox, you might find some odd issues with docker but only one way to find out Smile

The plan with the proxmox box is to use it to run some other apps so I can play around, but not mess up my Plex setup.  For example I want to run debian to run some web development, GNS3 for networking, Windows, etc....

I thought about installing Snapraid etc right into proxmox, but then I could potentially break stuff for the main host...   I just wonder if I'm loosing a lot by running it all in a VM.
(27-03-2017, 06:10 PM)EFaden Wrote:
(27-03-2017, 08:18 AM)j0nnymoe Wrote:

Any guidance?

Thanks.

Hey,

The plan with the proxmox box is to use it to run some other apps so I can play around, but not mess up my Plex setup.  For example I want to run debian to run some web development, GNS3 for networking, Windows, etc....

I thought about installing Snapraid etc right into proxmox, but then I could potentially break stuff for the main host...   I just wonder if I'm loosing a lot by running it all in a VM.

Shouldn't think so, providing you pass through the drives straight to the VM that needs it.
Main: i5-3570k @ 4.0GHZ | 8GB Ram | 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD | EVGA 780 SC 6GB
Server: HP N54L | 8GB Ram | UnRAID v6.2.4 | 10TB Data [2x3TB+2x2TB] + 3TB Parity
RPi2 Model B 1GB: LibreELEC x2 / Wetek Hub: LibreELEC / DigiBit R1 Sat>IP Receiver

Excellent. I think I may just leave it then as a Debian VM w/ the LSI passed through and run everything inside of Docker in there. If I only run snapraid/merger inside of the VM then I need to use something like NFS to get plex access.

The other alternative is to run snapraid/merger on prox, but not sure how I feel about that. I can't run them in an LXC either because of LXC with fuse....